Saturday, May 19, 2012

Saturday 5 May - Peak of the week


Current location: Youlgreave, Peak District
11.11pm, Playing board games. I've been putting off writing this blog post until some ace pictures turned up (I didn't take my camera) but I've got bored of waiting.
The picture, therefore, is an aerial view of the village we were staying in (courtesy of Google Maps), which I think shows pretty well how in-the-middle-of-the-countryside we were!

We went up to stay with the Hewitt family, to celebrate Mama Hewitt (aka Dianne)'s 60th birthday. Here's a nice story about the Hewitts: Before I was born, Mum and Dianne became best friends and both lived in a small village in Cornwall. Mum went on to have four daughters, while Dianne and her husband Jeremy had four sons, who are roughly the same ages as my sisters and me. We grew up together until the Hewitt family moved away when I was a child.

Anyway, Mum and Dad have always stayed in touch with Dianne and Jeremy so, when I heard the Hewitts were having a barn dance for their anniversary/Dianne's birthday celebrations, I wangled Andy and me an invite and up we went to the Peak District.

It's been about 16 years since I was last in their house and it's just as awesome as I remembered it. The windows look out on lovely countryside as far as the eye can see and, as we decided to take our tent up and camp, it felt like a great outdoorsy weekend.

When we arrived, we all crowded around Di's kitchen, eating home-made soup and  playing with Matt (one of the sons)'s gorgeous daughters, Maya and Naomi. Mum and Dad arrived soon after, with more people arriving as the day drew on, and we all had a fab afternoon, which turned into a fab evening as the homebrew got passed around. Then out came the board games and it wasn't until 3am that we all went to bed, tired but ready for some rousing walks the next day and the barn dance the next night!

No comments:

Post a Comment